MATHCOUNTS School Handbook
Each year the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook is provide for free to every middle school in the U.S. It contains 300 creative problems meeting National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) standards for grades 6-8. Problems are indexed according to topic, difficulty level, and are mapped to the Common Core State Standards.
Download the 2012-2013 MATHCOUNTS School Handbook - Click Here!
Schools that have signed up for the MATHCOUNTS Club Program or Competition Program will automatically receive a hard copy of the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook in their Club in a Box Resource Kit.
(Please note this version of the handbook does not include solutions. A version including solutions is available to coaches in the MCP Members Only Area.)
MATHCOUNTS School Handbook Contents:
- Critical 2011-2012 Dates: page 4
- Introduction: page 5
- New This Year: pages 6
- Helpful Resources: page 7
- The MATHCOUNTS OPLET: page 8
- Handbook Problems: page 9
- Building a Competition and/or Club Program: page 41
- MATHCOUNTS Competition Program Information: page 42
- MATHCOUNTS Club Program Information: pages 54
- MATHCOUNTS Reel Math Challenge Information: page 59
- Answers to Hanbook Problems: page 61
- Problems Mapped to Common Core State Standards: 87
- Problem Index: page 88
- Competition and Club Program Registration Form: page 90
THE INTERACTIVE VERSION OF THE MATHCOUNTS SCHOOL HANDBOOK!
This year, we are pleased to offer the 2012-2013 MATHCOUNTS School Handbook online in a new, interactive format through NextThought, a software technology company devoted to improving the quality and accessibility of online education.
When logged on to the NextThought platform, students will be able to discuss problems in real time, access helpful teaching video resources, share notes directly in the content, receive help from coaches and collaborate with teammates and peers across the country. Online collaboration channels, such as messaging, digital whiteboards and note-sharing capabilities will enable students to build personal learning networks, build knowledge and develop a deeper understanding of math topics.
In addition to providing users with online, interactive access to the Warm-ups, Workouts, and Stretches included in the 2012-2013 MATHCOUNTS School Handbook, the NextThought platform will allow students and coaches to take advantage of the following features:
- Students can bookmark pages, add notes, comments and questions, and show their work through digital whiteboards. All interactions are contextually stored and indexed within the School Handbook.
- Content is accessible from any computer with a modern web browser through the cloud-based platform.
- Interactive problems can be used to assess student or team performance.
- With the ability to receive immediate feedback, including solutions, students develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- View related videos correlated to handbook problems.
- Advanced search and filter features provide efficient ways to find and access MATHCOUNTS content and user- generated annotations.
- Students can build their personal learning networks through collaborative features.
- Chat function allows students to discuss problems in real time.
Please note that new materials (such as past handbooks and competitions) as well new functionality will be added throughout the year. To access this exciting new platform, please visit mathcounts.nextthought.com.
A great deal of time and effort goes into creating all of the problems found in the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook and competitions. We are very proud of these materials, but things are occasionally missed or misprinted.
This is a compilation of the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook errata that has been listed in the previous editions of MATHCOUNTS News. If you are aware of an additional error, please forward this information to email@example.com.
Introduction to the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook
This video provides an overview of the MATHCOUNTS School Handbook, and how coaches can best utilize this resource.
A digital version of the current MATHCOUNTS School Handbook can be downloaded here.